Monday, March 31, 2014

Minutes March 11, 2014

March 11, 2014

Meeting called to order at 6:30pm by President Rod Vanderhoef.  

Minutes:  Secretary forgot to bring print-out of minutes.  Pat made a motion, and Ruby seconded, to have secretary post minutes to the BIBA website and then vote to approve them at the next meeting.  Passed.

Erik had to leave early, so Alex gave the treasurer's report:
Checking acct.   $681.58
Savings acct.     $721.91
Larry motioned, and Paul seconded, to accept treasurer's report.  Passed.

OLD BUSINESS
Komohana hives have made $300 this year, with two top bar and three Langstroth hives.  Larry found several supers and deeps, and new frames with foundation there.

Grant:  Final grant money still needs to be applied for, if all requirements have been met.  One of those requirements is pollen analysis, and samples were sent to a lab in Texas, but the results were unproductive.  Rod will call Sharon Heard to find out if having the analysis done fulfills the requirement.  

Bylaws:  Discussed changing by-laws to allow raising or lowering dues at meetings other than December's.  Board is proposing raising dues to $25 per individual and $40 for a family.  Also discussed changing by-laws to place the Media Officer as a committee chair, and add the past president to the board, for continuity and to maintain five members on the board.  By-law changes were tabled for the time.  June nominated past-president Larry to the board. Ron seconded.  Approved.

NEW BUSINESS
 Ron brought up that meeting agenda should be posted to the website, and meeting dates should be published in the newspaper calendar section.  Secretary will do this.

Rod asked for someone to be responsible for finding a speaker for meetings.  Peggy made a motion to appoint Ruby as Educational Coordinator to provide presentations at meetings.  June seconded.  Passed.

Discussed applying for grant money for 2015 Honey Festival and Challenge.  The application is due April 15, 2014. The binder from Chelle should have all the information needed to fill in the forms, and Ron has a friend, Vince, who has experience writing grants, and says he will charge less than Chelle did.  Pat made a motion, and Ruby seconded, to go forward with turning grant proposal over to Vince to be facilitator.  Passed.
  The large binder from last year's Honey Festival will be available at future meetings for anyone who would like to look it over.
 We will discuss how to go forward with this year's Honey Festival without grant money at the next meeting.

Chandra moved, Larry seconded, to adjourn meeting.  Adjourned at 7:52.

Ron gave a presentation on problems with pests in the hive.


Respectfully submitted, Elaine Partlow, secretary

No comments:

Post a Comment